These are a few simple rules you should follow when composing your resume:
1. Make sure your resume is one page only.
2. Be sure to use a font that is legible and at least a 10 point size.
3. Do not include work history that is over ten years ago, as this "dates" you.
4. It is best to eliminate any positions that are less than 3 months, unless they directly relate to the work you are seeking.
5. A cover letter should always be submitted with your resume. This letter should include an introduction to who you are, the purpose for writing the letter, and what you can contribute to the company, should you be offered the position.
Here are links to three different resume Word templates that you can download and use: